The National Institutes of Health (NIH) provides standards to assist those proposing or administering grants related to human subject research. NIH grants may be denied or revoked in cases where projects or proposals are not in compliance with standards related to:
- Confidentiality requirements for physician-investigators
- Restrictions on the use and disclosure of personal health information
- Subject authorization requirements
The NIH requires regularly scheduled progress reports to ensure ongoing compliance with NIH project standards. Research organizations may or may not be covered by HIPAA privacy protections.
How It Applies
Anyone conducting human-subject research supported through NIH funding must maintain uphold NIH standards to maintain project funding.
Report a Concern
- Think information may have been compromised? Contact the Help Desk immediately at 258-HELP.
- Have a legal or ethical concern about a research project? Review the reporting protocol set forth by the Office of Research Integrity and Assurance.